One of the pioneers of luxury travel in Australia, Phil Asker has just announced his ‘Top Travel Destinations’ for 2016, and some locations may come as a surprise. If you are looking for something new in 2016, the below destinations are the five that Phil believes are the most unique and sought after in the eyes of the modern traveller.
1. AUSTRALIA Affluent, multicultural and laced with natural splendour, Australia is a destination that few of us have the opportunity to explore in depth, despite all the dazzling contrasts being right on our doorstep. Why not savour the taste of gourmet Australia as you travel from Hobart to King Island, and from Coonawarra to Kangaroo Island in an exciting deviation from traditional paths.
2. SPAIN This vibrant country has so much more to offer when you venture off the traditional tourist trail, from the Jewish quarter of Girona to the El Transcantabrico rail tracing the country’s northern coastline. Whether it be simply sampling local tapas or riding the romantic Al Andalus train, which cuts a steady path to Cadiz, Spain is definitely a country commanding attention in 2016.
3. MEXICO From the sun scattered beaches of Mexico’s coast, to the burnished glow of its desert interior, everywhere you venture you’ll be greeted with openhearted smiles, which mirror an exuberance for life. Colourful and quixotic, Mexico enjoys an inspired talent for transforming even the most sombre side of life into cause for celebration. This country is an endless adventure for the senses.
4. JAPAN For all its technology, fierce competitiveness and fast moving pace, Japan remains a country stilled by ancient culture and revered traditions. From the delicate springtime cherry blossom buds, which signal a week of ‘Hanami’ (flower watching) parties, to the UNESCO listed snowy mountain village of Shirakawa-go, the Land of the Rising Sun still manages to mesmerise.
5. THE SILK ROAD AND THE ‘STANS’ Follow in the footsteps of explorers, warriors, poets and nomads along the ancient Silk Road and experience the contrasts of Eastern culture, as you cross the tracks between China and Russia on private trains. From ghostly desert cities to armies made of stone, prepare to be fascinated by all the Silk Road has to offer.
Feeling inspired yet?
Phil Asker founded Captain's Choice with his wife Kaye over 20 years ago, and still plays an active role in the research and management of every journey. In that time, Captain’s Choice has built an enviable reputation for being connoisseurs of exceptional luxury travel.
From private jet tours, to specially created luxury cruises, rail and land journeys, Captain’s Choice fly the flag across all that’s remote, exotic and inspired. For a brochure on these extraordinary journeys contact itravel The Junction on 4962 1116 or itravel Warners Bay on 4947 1116.